Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bored out of my mind

Here I am doing the same old thing, same routine, same everything.

Kinda gets boring, since my usual workload can be done in the first 2 weeks of each month. And since this is the 3rd week of June, there really is nothing left for me to do, other than the annoying no-brainer kind of reports or PA work (no am not a secretary nor a PA, and no I don't mean to insult them.....am just not into deskjobs).

To expand, no-brainer reports, these really are "favor" jobs coz the guy whose supposed to do these cannot / does not know how to even type a single line in an excel sheet. PATHETIC.

Tasks which I said were PA work. I realize that PAs and secretaries are very organized people and can really work their boss's schedule for meetings, lunch, etc. I am really at awe on how they go about their work and their patience. So, which brings me to my dilemma, am a manager that works with other managers but for some unknown reason I got the scheduling task...which is really not my thing. I hate calendars, I hate looking at other people's calendars and I couldn't care less about their meetings, which usually does not include me anyway. I hate bugging people I don't even know, just for someone who isn't capable of organizing their own schedules. It's soo frustrating!!!!!!

Aside from that, there really is nothing to do around this time of the month. As it happens, am just surfing and wasting time away....in a quest to find something meaningful to do.

Most people would say that am living the good life and just enjoy the ride. Sorry people, I don't share that view...that's a very lazy way of looking at things. I HATE having nothing to do. That's why I go to work. If I wanted a lazy lifestyle I would just stay home, get bloated, and just be a bum for life. Besides, what good are the number of years I've gone to school and studied, just so I can become a non-thinking drone?

I've always thought....and I still believe that having more than enough salary can make me happy and satisfied with whatever task am doing. I'm just finding out that mental challenge, serious and meaningful tasks in the workplace are just as important.

I may have matured a bit in my views of work and life. 4 years back I would have told anyone that they're crazy should they want to go to a less-paying job to satisfy their personal quirks in exchange for a high paying one.

But now, I think that having a high paying job is not enough anymore. Just sitting around in my desk, fiddling with my laptop, waiting for work to come to me is just too insulting for my brain and developed skills / capabilities. I've felt like I've reached a dead end in my career.

I miss the earlier years, where the adrenaline pumps as I create and analyze my reports...finishing them, hopefully, within the deadline. I miss encountering issues and the success and pride I feel upon resolving them. I miss the recognition and promotions that accompany a job well done. I miss managing competent people, the cooperation, the achievements, the one goal that we share. I miss having a "real manager" who can effectively train me for more tasks, can make the most of my time on the job, who can efficiently mentor and coach me on my weaknesses.

And the only person responsible for losing all that is ME, I exchanged them all for a higher salary....believing that it wouldn't matter as long as the price is right.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I guess, satisfying my wallet isn't really enough. I've learned a lot from my experience in this new role I have. Only thing though, the lessons I learned where not of use to my professional growth, but these lessons I've learned are more of self-awareness.

As I sit here in my chair, typing my blog, knowing that am truly bored and dissatisfied with the career path I've chosen, I realized that not all things can be satisfied with money.

It's true, I will not resign from this job just because of my personal dissatisfaction. Money is still important (i mean GET REAL). Money is still a priority, but second to that, in my future career decision, would be the criteria: Would I be truly happy here? Can I really be satisfied professionally? Will I reach the level of contentment that I desire, the dynamic environment I have been craving for?

The game has changed for me...I don't wish to be bored anymore, I don't want to be under-utilized. I'm a skilled worker and I need to have an outlet for that.

A new quest has begun for me and am more than willing to take a chance of starting anew. In a new game where I can be a player and not a collectible item. All because I DON'T WISH TO BE BORED ANYMORE.





No comments:

Post a Comment